Getting to Know Ogbeare Hall
The Original Seat of the Loveys Family
Trying to piece together the facts that surround Ogbeare Hall.
Standing near the Devon-Cornwall boarder, Ogbeare Hall is about half the size of the restored Victorian Hall but how did that compare to the original hall, when and why did it change and who influenced it all?
The 1973 Autumn Edition of "Old Cornwall" published by The Federation of Old Cornwall Societies reads....
"Ogbeare Hall may be approached from the road at Hornacott Chapel. This way winds through woodland, and the first glimpse of the Hall, set a little below the ridge of the hill, makes it appear somewhat incongrous, as if a Victorian villa from a prosperous suburb had been placed in this somewhat remote Cornish district. The house was indeed rebuilt in Victorian times and subsequently modernised, but it still has at its heart, the Great Hall, with its granite fireplace, of stone mullioned windows and fine wooden roof, reminds one irresistibly of Cotehele or Trecarrol. Under the passage and accessible by stone stairs is a fine well. Outside, built into the walls or lying beside them are stones from the earlier Hall in which lived Leonard Lovis”.
Ogbeare Hall went from the representatives of the Lovis family to the Michells, and then to the Welches of Launceston. From them it passed to G W Owen of Tiverton who sold it to Sir William Pratt Call, the owner in 1820. It was then described as 'certainly a building of great antiquity. Large mullioned windows, loaded with iron bars, give it an air of gloomy dignity. It is now inhabited by a farmer.
Kelly's directory of 1889 records that Ogbeare Hall had been restored and enlarged. It was then the residence of Major Holt, one of the principal landowners in the area, holding Mr J H Hockin the gift of the living.
Indeed the 1881 census return for Ogbeare Hall shows
A later entry, in Kelly's directory of 1906, mentions the fine banqueting and entrance halls with their elaborately carved ceilings.
A marriage that took place on 9th November 1906 at St John's Church, Wanganui, New Zealand, by Rev, T.S.Maclean, William Percival, eldest son of W. Clifton-Mogg, Ogbeare Hall, Holsworthy, Devon, England, to Mabel Louise, only daughter of W. Stringleman, Wanganui.
An extract from the will of the late James John Mallandaine states his last address as Ogbeare Hall, North Framerton, Cornwall. He was born on 3 November 1848 in Cotes-du-Nord, Quevert near Dinan in France. He attended the Royal Military College, Sandhurst from February to December 1865. He was commissioned into the 106th Regiment of Foot (Bombay Light Infantry) on 29 May 1866. He achieved the rank of Lieutenant in 1868 and then Captain, in the 60th Regiment of Foot (King's Royal Rifle Corps), in 1877. James died on 1 March 1911 at Roydon, Torquay, Devon.
Older people recall the days when Squire Alexander lived there, and gave school treats to the children, with Xmas trees and presents. The beaters went to the Hall each year for a pheasant dinner. He provided the land and the larger part of the money for the building of the parish hall in 1924.
Since then Ogbeare has changed hands, and early in 1971, it was sold again. The lake was restored in 1968; with its islands, it extends over 2 1/2 acres, being fed by a stream running from the Forestry Commission woodlands."
The Hall Today
Whilst the hall is about half the size of its splendid rebuilt Victorian counterpart, it is still very grand sitting in a splendid location and being thoughtfully cared for, just like any good conundrum, you end up with more unanswered questions then when you started.
Thought to be part of the original building the great hall, with its large stone granite fireplace, stone mullioned windows, carved embossed wooden ceiling and music gallery (which was probably open planned in its original state) show us just how grand this building must have been in the late 1500’s
The carved embossed wooden ceiling has a different carving in the centre of each cross section. Do they represent anything significant?
The north end of the banqueting hall is believed to have been rebuilt as part of the victorian refurbishment, how did it look before? Was the great hall much bigger?
From the outside the great hall throws up more questions, what do the symbolms above the east door signify?
There are also some etchings in the wall on the right hand side of the door, how long have they been there? What do they say?
The front door throws up a question or two, is it in its original position? What was on the crest above?